Getting lost in order to be found

Tuesday, April 29, 2014


I got lost in Portland yesterday.

That in and of itself is rather inconsequential, I'm still new in the city and do tend to end up taking the long route to get just about anywhere. I enjoy it though! I find it's a great way to get myself acquainted with the city.

Yesterday I took one wrong turn and ended up pleasantly surprised by the lush, green alleyway that I encountered as a result. If that's not some kind of wonderful analogy for the hidden surprises that life may bring, I don't know what is.

I am kind of enamored with the idea of being lost.  Maybe it's because I spent 6 months "lost" in the mountains without reception and connection to the world and relations I once held dear. In this day and age there is very little means in terms of actually being geographically lost.

The belief that I hold is that it is too easy to become stagnant and comfortable in routine. There is no harm done in taking yourself out of your comfort zone in order to experience something new, that is after all what life is made of.

“Getting lost was not a matter of geography so much as identity, a passionate desire, even an urgent need, to become no one and anyone, to shake off the shackles that remind you who you are, who others think you are.” 
― Rebecca SolnitA Field Guide to Getting Lost

x

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

© fellow adventurer All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger